Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What Is Your Green Score?


On a scale of 1-10, I think I am a 5...with MUCH room for improvement!
I am happy to say that all of the felt I use for my creations, kits, etc. is 100% Ecospun. That is felt that is made from 100% recycled post-consumer plastic bottles. I have always enjoyed the challenge of "up-cycling" fabric, buttons, trims, etc. When I was growing up, my mom would save all of our old jeans and once the stack was toppling over, she'd cut it all up and make a blue-jean patchy type quilt out of it. We all loved them and I still have mine! I love the reward of making something fresh, new and useful out of something old and outlived.
On the other hand, my not-so -green side is pretty dismal! There is NO recycling program where we live and I have been throwing everything out. I can't tell you how many times I am reaching to throw something in the trash and I am consciously thinking in my head, "I shouldn't be throwing this away....I should be recycling this...(getting a bit more angry)...why DON'T WE RECYCLE HERE????"
So, in honor of Earth Day, I am making amends by giving myself a challenge: Recycle what can be recycled and reduce the number of times I take the trash out! {That reminds me...I read somewhere about some moms who take the garbage out once - that is ONCE - a month! I'm not sure I am ready for a step that big, but it inspired me!} There is a elementary school nearby that has a few recycle bins and I plan on taking my recyclables there.
I think I'll keep track of how many bags I take out and report back. Really, a 5 is pathetic...I know I can do better than that!

No comments: