Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hooray for Homemade!

I've always known that homemade is best. Especially when it comes to food. A few weeks ago, my hubby brought FOOD, INC. home from work so that I could watch it. It confirmed everything I knew and more...lots more. I know that I should be actively helping my kids eat healthy. For us that meant more fruits and veggies...less junk. We have been pretty good at that. We really don't eat out much so that part won't be tough. But, now I have an entirely new view on the food I eat. It's the high fructose corn syrup {and all those other hidden ingredients}, its the quality of our meat; its the fillers; it's the processed foods; it's all about business and money, not quality and health.


We decided that we can't just do a mediocre job anymore...we've got to be proactive parents. This brings me to our latest adventures in the kitchen:

1. Homemade fruit roll-ups (a favorite with the kiddos!)
2. Peanut Butter cookies made with beans as a shortening substitute (1/2 the calories!)
3. Homemade English muffins (random...but we found a recipe and had to try it!)
4. Lots of homemade Strawberry Jam (berries are from our garden and SO SWEET!)
5. Last night we grilled pork chops and radishes for dinner. (okay, so I have to tell you that I didn't know what I was going to do with an entire bucket of radishes, but we found this yummiest recipe)

Have any thoughts or suggestions? We are so new to this and I'd love any hints! :)

No comments: