Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Try Salsa

For the second year in a row, a local farmer has offered fresh veggies to the ladies at church at a steal of a price. How can you turn that down? Last year I ordered Romas, squash and peppers. This year the squash wasn't available and I ended up ordering just Romas. On the drive home, I figured they cost about .40 per lb. Last year I didn't order quite as many tomatoes, so the salsa I made was put into 3 or 4 jars and put in the fridge (of course, it was gone in a week or so). This year I had a TON, so I opted to can them. I had to use a different recipe, but after 4 hours and 10 minutes, the kitchen was clean again and I had 15 pints of salsa. After having quesadillas w/ salsa for lunch, I'm thinking that I liked last years better. The recipe was thicker without so many chunks. I guess I'll have to try again next year...third time's a charm!

No comments: