Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homemade Puffy Paint


Last night at our Babysitter Exchange Meeting, we got a great tip from Kami on how to make Homemade Puffy Paint. I thought it would be fun, so we decided to give it a try after lunch. We had some friends stop in just before lunch, so we asked them to join us. Boy oh boy did we have fun (as well as a mess)!
Kami's recipe was equal parts of flour, salt, and water. Add a few drops of food coloring. Mix. Paint. Then put in the microwave for 10 seconds.
Maybe I did something wrong because it was too thick so we added water until it became a thick goopy liquid. {I also added the coloring to the water before putting it in the mix.}
We decided to finger paint {because I couldn't find my brushes} which was good, but messy. The blobs the girls made were not "puffing" in 10 seconds, so we increased the time to 30 seconds.
After 3 or 4 pictures, I noticed that the parts that were working the best were the skinny lines. So I grabbed a ziplock bag and scooped some paint in. Zipped it closed and snipped of a tiny bit of the corner of the bag with the scissors. This made a sort of pastry bag that the girls were able to "draw" with. It made small lines that they used to draw pictures and write their names. This worked out the best, so when you try this at home...use the bags!! The best part is that when the bags were empty, I tossed them in the garbage. All done. :)

No comments: