Thursday, September 30, 2010

Biting Off A Bit Too Much?

Sometimes I think that if I counted up how many projects I am really in the middle of, it would be surprising...and overwhelming. The thing is that they keep me going. I am always filling orders for the shop. I try to always have a quilt binding or other "lap project" to work on while watching TV after the kiddos have gone to bed. And in addition to the big garden we planted this year, church assignments, homework and everything else, I gained a fetish for refinishing furniture. I just love discovering potential in something others have written off as old and somewhat worthless. I could visit thrift shops and garage/estate sales all day long and the only things stopping me is the lack of money in my coin purse.

My latest project? This beautiful old Singer armchair that my mother-in-law found for me. I had the car and it took some work to get it to fit, otherwise it wouldn't have come home with me. Of course, I was so excited by the challenge, that I completely forgot to take a "before" picture. Too bad, 'cause a picture really would have been worth any words that I could use to describe it. It was that yucky 70's medium brown wood. The gold chenille upholstry was disintegrating. And to top it all off, there was a brass floral embellishment tacked onto the top of the back...ugh!

So after pulling of the brass "thingy", taking off the upholstry, sanding, priming, painting, re-upholstering, applying some polyurethane and re-assembling...this is what the result was. Wow, talk about fulfilling. I was very satisfied with the results.

Vintage Black Singer Chair ... $50 SOLD

No comments: