Friday, October 1, 2010

We're Thinking Pink

I think we all know someone with cancer. These days it's not a matter of "if", but "when". In my own family, my grandpa died of colon cancer and my aunt of Leiomyosarcoma (cancer of the smooth muscle tissue). We also have family members who have battled prostate cancer and Lymphoma Leukemia.

There are two women at church who have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Crazy enough, one just had her 16th birthday. This past Sunday, all the high school girls wore their Homecoming dresses. I got a bit teary to see this cute girl walk in with her gown on, accompanied by a black beanie. My 6 year old knew the situation and so I quickly commented, "Isn't that cool that she went to the dance even though she's lost her hair. She is such a neat girl." {I was especially grateful for the boy who took her!} I didn't think twice about it until this short little story came home from school:

"Once ther was a prinses named Anabell.
She had Canser and if you have Canser you
do not have har becus it folls out.
And then she has a wig."

At the top of the page was a castle with a beautiful princess, who I must say had a very beautiful wig. I then realized how much impact cancer has on all of us. I want to do something, even if it is only a little bit. I want to teach my daughter that one person can make a difference, even if it just to spread awareness.

Today I will be posting this one-of-a-kind Think Pink quilt. Half of the profit will be donated to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. This shabby chic style quilt measures 45" x 45" and was made with coordinating pink floral squares with white sashing. It features handmade chenille stripes that are so soft and add unique dimension to this quilt. Binding was hand sewn. Layered with Warm N White cotton batting. Quilt is machine washable/dryable and has been washed once to give it that antique puckered look.

2 comments:

Aunt Spicy said...

That is a gorgeous quilt...and for such a good cause!

Shelley said...

Thank you...we think so too!